My First Memory - Bushy Sideburns and the Floating Horse

 Dear Diary, 


Today I want to take you back to my very first memory. As you can imagine my first memories are blotchy at best. But this is how I remember my oldest-oldest-one. (Yes, I know I said the word "oldest" twice. It just seemed to fit here. Okay, grammar police?!)

I figure I must have been lying on my back and a man looking down at me. Just past him, I could see a horse with a chain that seemed to be floating in the air. I don't remember any sounds or smells. Just seeing this man with bushy hair on each side of his face, with some more on top of his head. 

You know, I find it interesting that I'm using vernacular that I would use today if I were to describe a scene in my everyday life. But let's try explaining it as how I really remember it---childlike. I thought it would be fun to describe this first memory in a stick-figure-drawing. Again, blotchy at best. 

And this is what I came up with. 




Well, as you can see, there is a man, or an alien (which would explain a lot about me I guess, LOL) looking over some kind of cot down at me. My POV is looking past my feet, up to this man, and then onto the floating horse in the sky. 

For a long time I could not place the man, nor could I place the floating horse. It wasn't until many years later, the puzzle would start to fit together. 

As it turned out, my mother was married to one man when I was born but had soon separated and remarried to whom I had understood growing up to be my father. So I basically had no memory of the first man. It wasn't until I saw an old picture of man #1 in her photo album. That is when it clicked for me that this is the man in my first memory. 

(A funny note here: I had always had some kind of weird déjà vu feeling each time I saw the country singer Jerry Reed appear on TV. That was until I saw this man's picture. It turned out that he was a spitting image of Jerry Reed.) So, it wasn't an alien after all; but see how my mind picked up on the bushy side-burns and beady eyes. Funny hugh?!? 

Eventually, the mystery of the floating horse was also solved with my mom's old picture stash. Again, going thru her stacks of photo albums, I found a picture of her old Kentucky-hills-home, living room scene. And sure enough there was a bronze horse, a chain and the clock, just as my flashes had recollected. It wasn't floating in thin air, but sitting on her living room TV. I guess that was the fashion back then.

So there you have it. Both of the items in my first memory were validated. Just for fun, I have added a few pics below of what I found online that are the most similar to that brief childhood encounter. 

What is your first memory? How would you explain it to people? 







Popular posts from this blog

Liar's Song

The Taboo Kiss

The Knock