A New Look into Empathy

Hi All,

This week I would like to share some thoughts on empathy. Empathy by definition means the ability to understand and share the feelings of others. I show empathy each single day at work. I answer at least 40 calls a day, and most of the time there is some type of issue that the customer is dealing with; thus calling me for some type of resolution. I listen carefully to case after case, plea after plea, desperate calls from customers begging for my mercy and favor in hopes that I will see their hardship through their eyes and do something that will ease their suffering (not an easy job, trust me).

It really shocks me how much effort they put into begging. Even without such pleas, I clearly understand and I feel their pain. Was I like this before the start of my mediation research for my It's Hard to Meditate When Your Butt Itches book? I think I was; but I can definitely feel a stronger draw and acceptance since my practicing of mediation and fervent prayers. So often, I tell the customers: "Yes! I do understand! I do know how you feel! I know how much you are suffering!" Some believe me. Some do not.


Today, I went to Walmart to do some weekly shopping, and my attention kept getting grabbed by the people around me. They were not trying to get my attention at all. They did not even know I existed; but I felt as if I was a fly on the wall, watching the scenes play out before me. I was especially interested in the actors of this play.

Hands, Compassion, Help, Old, Care

For instance, I saw an elderly Asian man sitting alone with his oxygen tank. I thought to myself, "Why is he alone? Is he doing his shopping? How can he shop with the oxygen tank; isn't it too heavy? It must be so difficult for him. Maybe he had to sit and rest before moving on. How long has he been in America? Is he homesick?"

Then I saw a woman with a huge burn scar on the back of her calf. I thought to myself, "Oh my, that must have been so painful. I wonder what happened? How long did it take to heal?" Then there was a lady in an embrace with a teenage girl. They held the embrace for at least two minutes. I thought the woman may have been crying but then she let go and touched the girls face as if they were sharing some amazingly emotional moment together. Again another thought, "Oh thank God, she seems to be okay. I wonder what is going on? I want to know why they are so happy."

So many people and so many lives being touched everyday. These thoughts play out everywhere I now go; it seems my heart has been cut in half and I want to know everything about everybody.


Empathy is the faculty to resonate with the feelings of others. When we meet someone who is joyful, we smile. When we witness someone in pain, we suffer in resonance with his or her suffering.
Matthieu Ricard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Taboo Kiss

Liar's Song

A Stone