Any Regrets Marsha?


Today I would like to share a question that was sent into me by a lady who has read my book, BANGLES. Her name is Lydia, from the UK. Her question is: Do you regret not living in America all of those years. 

Well, the answer is yes, and no. It's very true that in those 22 years that I was not here, I missed out on a lot of history making moments both nationally and locally--some good and some bad. I also missed out on valuable time with my own mother, including her final moments---truly my greatest regret of all.

But what I don't regret is keeping my children safe from the domestic violent situation that they were born into. Instead, they grew up experiencing various world cultures and learning several languages. And I'm proud to say that they have turned out to be amazing children. They told me that they forgive me for leaving America the way that I did, and--after meeting their father themselves--they understand why I did; and I now forgive myself as well. One day I was feeling sorry for myself--I felt that I had made a mistake with my life, and that I had nothing to show for the last 22 years. My daughter sat next to me on the bed patiently listening to me cry. She then reached over, hugged me, and said, "Never be sorry for what you did for us. You are who you are today because of what you did. Never forget that."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Taboo Kiss

Liar's Song

Am I in Love With a Memory?